Cat-Eyes the Chameleon

Cat-Eyes the Chameleon




Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sew Saturday

My Sewing Room
 Sew! What did you sew today?

In October I completed the clean-up of my sewing room.  It had been in a state of disarray for the past three years because I didn't have time to sew once I went back to school.  Seriously, I could barely move around in there, but now it's functional again.  While cleaning I came across fabric I purchased specifically to make some pillowcases 3-4 years ago from Fabric.com,  but hadn't sat down long enough to read and thoroughly taken in how to do.

Recently I've become quite addicted to watching YouTube videos and decided I would get these pillowcases done a lot faster if I could just watch someone teach how to make them.  I searched for "pillowcase tutorial" and found this great video and followed the instructions.



Having my MacBook Pro set-up in the room with me allowed me to pause and play as I went along.  I was soooooo EXCITED, you couldn't tell me anything.  :-)  The tutorial talks about using contrasting fabric for the band and narrow trim detail, however, I hadn't planned on that when I purchased the fabric so I used what I had.  I used the same fabric for the band and a plain black fabric as the narrow trim.  I was really surprised by how easy it was and they came out beautifully.  In fact, that same night I made a total of three pillowcases.



The fabric looks "orangy" in some pictures. (true color shows in below picture)


4-Sets of Pillowcases
My goal was to complete 4 sets by the next night.  The next night came and went without any sewing getting done.  However, I did finally finish them by the following week and have some lovely pillowcases for the house now. 


I don't know about you, but there just seems to never be enough pillowcases to go around, especially when everyone enjoys multiple pillows on their bed.  Hubby and I actually have six on our bed, so the two that come with sheet sets are certainly not going to cut it. This is a sewing project that will be a staple project for me so I'll be on the lookout for great fabric at a SUPER LOW price.  Speaking of price, the cost of fabric to make these was approximately $4.00 each pillowcase.

If you're a sewer, let me know what you are sewing and post links to tutorials if you have some.

Happy Sewing!






No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU! I really appreciate when people take the time to comment. :-)