Cat-Eyes the Chameleon

Cat-Eyes the Chameleon




Friday, December 30, 2011

My Loc Journey: A Snapshot

Hi and thanks for stopping in! :-)

I'm sure you've noticed from my profile picture that I no longer have locs, but I wanted to share a portion of my journey from starting my locs, maintaining them for 5 1/2 years and removing them. (March 2004-September 2009).

First, let me say that I have been natural since 2000 (12 years).  My last relaxer was January, 2000.  I transitioned for 9 months and did the big chop "BC" in October, 2000.

Now for my actual loc journey.  I started my locs from braids, which were referred to as "braid locs" then, but I simply called them locs.  :-)
In the Beginning :-)

I started out maintaining my locs with the latching method using a tool called "nappy loc" tool.  After about 6 months though I transitioned to using the twist/palm roll technique.




This pictures below show my locs in 2006 
(2-years loced).


Random Pics
(Click to see larger image)

Family: Sister, Mom and myself

Loc Updo with my sister

Loc Updo

Loc Updo

Loc Updo

Loc Updo for Church Anniversary

@ the Wax Museum "Oval Office"

Rosa Parks (Wax Museum)

My daughter and I

Loc Updo

After five and half years I decided to go back to loose natural hair.  I missed playing in my hair and doing various hairstyles.  The picture below is of my locs 1-month before I cut them down to about 3-4 inches and then picked apart.  That process was UGHHH and if I had to do it again I'd just cut completely off and start with what ever loose hair I had at the roots.  :-)

In the end. 5.5 Years Growth
This is a quick snap-shot of my loc journey.  I plan to do a more detailed post and video in the future.  Follow me so you can stay in touch and be notified when I do post. 

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. I totally understand the need for a change...I do it every few years myself. I've plan on using the palm-rolling method, too (I tried interlocking and it took me days to complete my hair!). Hopefully retwisting will work for me.

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU! I really appreciate when people take the time to comment. :-)